Thursday, January 3, 2013


In honor of my good buddy who is leaving us soon, I decided to compile his greatest hits.  Just know that this is the Reader’s Digest version.  He’ll most likely get an entire chapter in my book.

So, at virtually every official function in the military there is a POW/MIA/KIA ceremony.  It’s a very somber event where lights are turned down and taps is played at the end.  Its effectiveness largely depends on the narrator’s ability to inject the proper feeling into it.  Here’s a sample of it:

-          The table set is small—symbolizing the frailty of one prisoner alone against his oppressors…REMEMBER
 
-          The tablecloth is white—symbolizing the purity of their intentions to respond to their county’s call to arms…REMEMBER

Well, like I said, this is usually done at formal events.  However, we were doing wake-up one class and my buddy took it to a whole new level.  After kicking on doors and waking officer candidates up at 0445, the flight commander gives a short speech where he introduces himself, the staff that is with him, and lays out his expectations.  Well, without realizing it, he breaks into the POW/MIA ceremony.  It went something like this:

-          “I’m Capt X,  your flight commander for the next six weeks…(dramatic pause) REMEMBER!” 

-          “With me is Maj Kallstrom, the Director of Operations…(dramatic pause) REMEMBER!”

And on and on it went.  It was the second funniest thing I’ve ever seen at a wake-up.  The first is a whole separate blog. The best part was that it was completely unintentional. But to his credit, at least he nailed it.

Capt, now Maj X, is also notorious for ripping off classic one-liners. Here’s a sampling:

-          After his flight came in last in an Air force knowledge challenge, he lifted their spirits by saying “Way to represent, Losers.  Enjoy your MREs.” 

-          To a student who’s hat stuck off the front of his head a good couple inches, he quipped “Your hat looks like a canoe on top of a Volkswagen.” 

-          After asking a trainee who he was rooting for in the NCAA basketball tournament and the student replying that he didn’t watch basketball, he offered up this jewel: “I bet you can play some Warcraft, huh?” 

-          While marching his flight and not being happy with the formation, “You’re as crooked a dog’s hind leg.”

This next one I posted in a previous blog but it’s worth repeating.  This occurred during an actual interview for a senior position on the AMS staff.
-          Question- “Why should we hire you?” 

-          Answer: He leaned forward, got an intense look on his face, pointed at the board president, and boomed “Because I’m ready to lead today!!!  I don’t need to be trained!  I don’t need to spun up!  I’m ready to lead today!”

-   Seriously, the intensity and force he spoke with was shocking. You got the impression that if he had continued it would’ve gone something like this-- “And if you don’t hire me, I will hunt you down and take your firstborn.  Hire me now, on the spot, or I will destroy all of you!”  I think the board president, a female colonel, actually recoiled in fear at one point.  When he left, she looked at me and asked “Why was he so angry?  Is he always that intense?  And where can I get a smoke to calm my nerves?”

Nothing really bonds you like witnessing insanity together.  And, trust me, we witnessed a lot of it together from both staff and students.  This next event involved the single craziest officer candidate that I’ve ever seen come through AMS.  I wrote a whole blog about her previously. She quit, decided not to quit, accused me of throwing her out, decided to stay, and then quit again all in about 10 hours.  As she storms off for the final time, I tell another staff member to call the commander and get him down there so he can witness the insanity while my buddy and I chase her down.  We catch up to her and asked her if she really wants to quit.  She says yes so we start explaining the procedures to her.  She goes off again saying, “I’m a failure.  I’m a failure” because everything had to be said twice.  I’m not sure who she was trying to convince.  She had definitely failed at being rational.  As she’s chanting about her failure, I hear my sidekick come back with one of the best lines ever.  He says, “That’s neither here nor there right now, we just need you to sign the paperwork.”

And, finally, my all-time favorite Maj X story.  We used to get student critiques at the end of every week of training.  You can probably imagine what people write when they can do so anonymously and you’ve been yelling at them for 5 straight days.  Everybody on staff constantly griped about it and, yet, we couldn’t wait to get them every week.  You know, because every so often you got a classic like this:
-          “I was uncomfortable hearing Capt X correct a student in the bathroom with his gentals in his hand.”
A couple of things.  First, that’s an exact quote, not a typo.  The kid said “gentals”.  Secondly, you can read that a hundred times and not be clear on who’s gentals were in who’s hand.  I’m sure you can imagine the ridicule he took over that one.  After reading it, I vowed to never correct a student in the bathroom again.   
Good luck, my friend.  Gonna miss the laughs we shared together.

No comments:

Post a Comment